Whether you are transferring from Blogger to WordPress or you’re frustrated with your current web host, choosing a website host is an important decision. You want a host that is affordable but also one that offers the features and functions that you need.
To help you pick the best web host, I put together a little checklist for you.
Web Hosting Checklist
1. Do they have a user friendly control panel? Check to see if your host offers free demonstrations or tours. Take advantage of these to make sure it’s a control panel that makes sense to you and is easy to use.
2. Do they have a website builder? Some webhosts offer site building tools. If you don’t know a lot about building a website, this can be extremely helpful. If you are building your own site, make sure the host has FTP transfer so you can upload your web pages to your host’s server. If you are setting up a WordPress site, most hosts have a one button WordPress install.
3. Can they handle your needs? Most web hosts have several plans ranging in size for data space, bandwidth and file size limitations. If you aren’t sure what size web hosting you need, contact the host to see if they can accommodate your current needs and give you some room to grow.
4. Are their servers reliable? This is a biggie for me. There are many times that you will see other bloggers complaining about their host being down. Occasional downtime is expected but it should be rare and you should be given advanced notice when the servers are going to be down. In a perfect world, your host’s server should be up and running 99% of the time.
5. Check user reviews. This is the last thing to look at once you’ve narrowed down your choices and before you compare price. Ask around in your blogging circles to see who other’s recommend. You want to make sure the company has a solid reputation in the industry.
6. Compare prices. If a website host meets all of the above criteria and fits your budget, you’ve found a good hosting company.
There are many website hosts out there so the process can be a little daunting. But if you spend a bit of time researching based on your needs and you can’t go wrong.
Who do I recommend?
I have been hosting my websites with A Small Orange for two years now. I have never once had any down time (knock on wood) and their customer service is oustanding. They have always gone above and beyond with any issues that arise. Any time I have had an issue, it has been resolved in minutes. They even migrated my site from my old host to them…no additional charge.