What happens when two classic recipes – grilled cheese and mac & cheese – combine? A crispy sandwich that will knock their socks off!
This post is sponsored by the American Dairy Association. All opinions are my own.
Last week, I traveled to gorgeous upstate New York to learn all about dairy with the American Dairy Association. And it was literally a farm to table event.
From visiting a dairy farm…
…to seeing how cheese is made at a cheese factory…
…to a beautiful farm to table dinner.
And that was only day 1! Day 2 was al about cooking with…you guessed it…dairy. It was a mac-and-cheese throw down. The rules? You had to use cheese from Yancey’s Fancy Cheese and to think outside of the box. And boy did I ever!
The competition was tight. That’s what you get when you throw a bunch of food bloggers into a commercial kitchen. And the smells. I wish we had the technology to harness the yummy smells that were coming out of that kitchen.
For my recipe, I took my Gouda and Bacon Mac-and-Cheese recipe but, instead of baking them in cups, I put it on a sandwich, Yup, a grilled mac-and-cheese sandwich!
Grilled Mac-and-Cheese Sandwich
- 16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2¼ cup skim milk
- ½ cup flour
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire
- 1 lb Yancey's Fancy Maple and Bacon Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked
- sour dough bread
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture.
- Butter one side of sour dough bread slice. Place on hot griddle until toasted.
- Assemble sandwiches: toasted sour dough bread, scoop of mac-and-cheese, top with crumbled bacon and another slice of sour dough bread.