When it comes to avocado, do you think guacamole? Well, there are more ways to enjoy avocado than just in Mexican dishes. And if you aren’t eating more avocado, then you really should start. This vegetable is such a great source of those non-saturated fats that are good for you, and it’s also high in protein. It’s a filling and buttery-tasting vegetable (or fruit?) that you will surely want to be eating on a regular basis. So if you were unsure about avocado before, then try out some of these ideas for cooking avocado.
9 Way to Use Avocado
1. Have it in a daiquiri. That’s right, you don’t need to eat it. A tasty cooling drink might be just the thing. And who doesn’t love a little rum? So for an adult beverage made with a healthy avocado, give this one from Sugar and Charm a go!
2. Avocado salad. Add tomatoes, onion, olives, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, oil, lime juice, cumin and salt to a bowl and mix well. Or put some mixed greens on a plate and place a mound of the avocado mixture in the center. Add some grilled shrimp to this dish for a little added flair. You can really add avocado to just about any salad, though. Just slice it up and put it on top. I like this Avocado, Black Bean & Corn Salad from Vegan Huggs.
3. Avocado soup. Combine some cucumber, avocados, vegetable broth, yogurt, milk, chopped onion, lemon juice, and vinegar in a blender. Puree these ingredients together and season with some salt and pepper. Chill for at least four hours. Or try this Avocado Bacon Soup from That’s Low Carb!
4. Add avocado to your burrito or taco. One of the benefits of avocado is it tastes great when not cooked. So just add the avocado to a burrito or taco.
5. Try a smoothie with avocado. For something the whole family can enjoy, combine fruits like banana and avocado, spinach, plain yogurt, egg whites, raspberries, water, and ice. Blend until smooth and creamy. Try this Blueberry Avocado Banana Smoothie from Well Plated. Enjoy!
6. Tuna and avocado. Cut open an avocado and remove the pit. Spoon tuna into the center where the crater was left with the pit removed. Drizzle a little lemon juice over the tuna. See how HERE with my Avocado Tuna Salad.
7. Avocado sandwiches. Instead of lettuce and tomato on your sandwich, add slices of avocado to any sandwich. Turkey, chicken, and even egg is yummy with avocado added.
8. Stuff some veggies! For a simple party food, stuff some veggies with avocado like ABCs and Garden Peas did!
9. Make some popsicles. Yes you heard me right! Avocado Lime Popsicles are one of my absolute favorite ways to use avocados! Get the recipe here.
Since avocado doesn’t need to be cooked to taste good, you can add slices of avocado to just about any dish you can imagine. Stand alone or mixed with other ingredients and spices, it is sure to please. What’s your favorite way to eat avocado?