Happy 60th Birthday PLAY-DOH! Since 1956, the PLAY-DOH brand has encouraged kids to explore what’s possible. Recognized as ‘National’ PLAY-DOH Day in the United States since 2006, excitement surrounding the annual holiday has grown beyond boundaries to inspire artists across the globe to explore what’s possible.
On September 16, the PLAY-DOH brand will celebrate its 60th birthday on World Play–Doh Day, a day dedicated to the childhood staple that continues to inspire millions of people of all ages across the globe to open a can of imagination!
10 Fun Facts about PLAY-DOH!
1. PLAY-DOH inventor Joe McVicker actually sold it originally as a wallpaper cleaner. The PLAY-DOH compound could remove soot and dirt from walls by simply rolling it across the surface.
2. Over 3 billion PLAY-DOH cans have been sold since 1956. That’s enough to reach the moon and back three times!
3. 4 colors started it all: red, blue, yellow, and white. Now the PLAY-DOH brand has over 50 colors!
4. There are 3 main ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound: water, flour, and salt.
5. PLAY-DOH compound was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.
6. If you made a big ball of all the PLAY-DOH Compound ever created, it would weigh more than 700 million pounds.
7. Urban legend has it that if you took all the PLAY-DOH Compound created since 1956 and put it through the PLAY-DOH FUN FACTORY playset, it would make a snake that would wrap around the world 300 times.
8. Seven million PLAY-DOH FUN FACTORY playsets have been sold since 1999.
9. Did you know that PLAY-DOH cans are made with a tapered edge to easily stack and store empty cans to reuse again?
10. For a long time, Dr. Tien Liu had the awesome title of PLAY-DOH Expert! Liu was the mastermind behind discovering the perfect formula for the original company which was Rainbow Crafts.
Pop open some cans of PLAY-DOH and get creating to celebrate World PLAY-DOH day! PLAY-DOH invites you to share sculptures of what you imagine life will look like 60 years into the future and beyond. Join in on the fun by sharing your predictions using #PLAYDOH60 and #WORLDPLAYDOHDAY, and by participating in the conversations on Instagram (@PLAY-DOH) and Facebook (Facebook.com/PLAYDOH)!